Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Virginia Beach!

Amidst all the Step 1 and third year rotation prep, a lot of things have been happening in our family. I got really sick (which is going on 2 1/2 weeks now and is finally tapering off with the most helpful cocktail of drugs) Matthew has been studying his brains out, and best of all...

THE BEACH.

I don't know how many times during last winter when Carolyn and I were cooped up in the house during the snow storms and I would close my eyes and try to imagine the beach. I would imagine I was all warm, listening to the waves and drinking something cold with a little umbrella in it. Well last week I was able to go down to Virginia Beach and make all my dreams come true.

Finally. Something blog-worthy. :)

Jen Bell and I went down and stayed with Matthew's aunt and uncle, Donna and David Wright. What a fantastic family. They were incredibly generous and we had such a good time staying with them. Their house was so homey... I turned to Jen and asked how likely it would be for us to achieve something like that - a place that we could raise our families and look back with such fondness at the last thirty years in a home.

Doubtful. But hopefully the Wright's will let us come and soak up the spirit of their home.

We went to the beach, got a tour of the Tidewater Community College, and visited the planetarium! I know next to nothing about Astronomy, so I think I overloaded uncle David with questions about stars and galaxies and the structure of the universe. He never missed a beat in answering every question I could come up with - so I got curious...

What is his rating on www.ratemyprofessors.com ?

Outstanding.
Shocked?
Not at all.
A 4.8 out of 5. Almost outrageous.

One of the students summed it up perfectly in their comments:

He is hands down one of the smartest people I have met, he makes his class very easy to understand, very busy man, fun, and likeable, take his classes you will enjoy them.

It almost (almost) makes me wish I could takes physics again, especially considering the previous grade a received! Anyway, it was a wonderful trip and we can't wait to go again. Thank goodness we have two more years here!

Here are a few visual highlights... Mostly of Carolyn.











2 comments:

emalina49a said...

I love it! And I am right there with you, but I had to go to CA to get my beach time. And then I came back and it was RAINING (maybe those were just my tears manifesting themselves. Can't wait to see you guys

Mom said...

Aww... such cute pictures and nice thoughts. Come again soon!

D&D